Teenage Vegan

Saturday, January 20, 2007

So this week I started working at a vegetarian Indian restaurant, which has been quite the interesting experience. I feel really conflicted because the owners are so kind, they really need extra help, and I already agreed to work there on Fridays and Saturdays, BUT I really don't like it, I don't get any breaks, they pay me out of their pockets, and even though I'm the waitress, I don't get any tips. It's really not the best situation. The one plus side, though? I get free food whenever I want. I'm thinking about quitting, even though I know that would be really irresponsible.

Anyway, onto the food! I'm super excited because yesterday I picked up The Almost No Fat Cookbook: Everyday Vegetarian for about $6.00 at Half Price Books, in practically brand new condition! We're big fans of all of Bryanna's recipes that we've tried from her website, AND my mom is trying to go on a low-fat vegan diet to help her lose weight, so we really couldn't have found this at a better time. (At Half Price books I also picked up a book called "The Science of Vampires," written by a PhD, which promises to be really cool, plus a book on the relationship between plants and humans called "Food of the Goods" for my boyfriend, and then a random girly book about how to do your makeup. So probably the most random assortment of books ever.)

Here is the Caramelized Fennel and Shallot Risotto from "Fresh and Fast Vegan Pleasures," topped with minced tarragon and fennel fronds. On the side is a bitter green salad with balsamic vinaigrette. This was very good; the flavors were very subtly sweet, which was nice for the cold weather.

In the words of Rachel Ray: Yum-o! This was the Seitan Piccata with White Wine and Capers from the "Candle Cafe" cookbook, and it was super good. I'm a sucker for any type of piccata! On the side are some oyster mushrooms and asperation (a hybrid between broccoli and asparagus) that my dad grilled. This felt very gourmet so Tommy and I cracked open a bottle of cranberry cider to go with it :)


Of course, we had leftover seitan, so the next night we just heated it up in the microwave and served it with some store-bought BBQ sauce (as you can see, it came out of the bottle a bit faster than we had anticipated!). Tommy and I split a roasted acorn squash between the two of us (which was just mediocre - I didn't think to put olive oil or rosemary on it, like I normally do) and we each had a big old leaf of raw dino kale with some lemon juice, olive oil, and salt - the only real way to eat raw kale. Yum!

And here was this morning's breakfast: Egg Free French Toast from the Almost No Fat Cookbook topped with organic strawberries and maple syrup, served with vegetarian sausage patties, half a pear, and some Odwalla orange juice. My mom and I both enjoyed this immensely; it was quick, easy, and extraordinarily satisfying! (My mom commented that it's weird to be on a diet that allows her to be full and happy!)

Have a good week everybody!

1 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Desert Dogs California said...

I just found your blog and I love it. I'm so glad you posted one of the pictures, I noticed you have equal exchange baking cocoa in the background. I've been feeling guilty for buying non-fair trade baking cocoa (whenever I buy chocolate bars I always buy fair trade) but didn't know of any brands that sold it. I'm glad to know EE sells baking cocoa! I've only seen their chocolate bars. Sorry, I'm starting to ramble... anyway congrats on getting into UW. I'm currently studying Sociology at a University in California. I'm not minoring in Women's issues, but it is a focus of mine.

Have a nice Holiday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home