Teenage Vegan

Monday, January 08, 2007

So after a week and a half of eating really well (lots of macrobiotic and raw), and after starting to PMS, I decided that I just couldn't take it anymore. I needed some good, old fashioned, down home comfort food. So Tommy and I had the idea to do a vegan "KFC" night - everything was so delicious that thinking about it now is making me hungry again! Next time I would like to add coleslaw, biscuits, and gravy to the mix. The best part about it all though? The whole dinner (including dessert!) took me less than an hour!

Clockwise from bottom left we have mashed potatoes from scratch, some raw dino kale with olive oil and lemon juice (not anything you'd typically find at KFC, but I needed something green!), vegan fried steak, and macaroni and "cheese." Both the vegan fried steak recipe and the macaroni and cheese recipes were taken from vegweb, here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=f94d3b5b9163122ccbcba29def887c9c&topic=7534.0 and here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=f94d3b5b9163122ccbcba29def887c9c&topic=8295.0, respectively. I'll post them in the blog later, but I have school soon!

Dessert #1 (yes, we had two) is surprisingly NOT from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but rather from the first Millenium restaurant cookbook. It's an individual Mad Good Chocolate Cake, filled with a rich chocolatey ganache (which unfortunately baked into the cake, it was supposed to be a rich molten center) and topped with coconut sorbet. There was supposed to be a caramel rum sauce too, but we're trying to cut back on sugar (the cake recipe only used maple syrup, which was awesome). Very delicious, but I was sad because of the lack of molten ganache center, because I tasted it while it was cooking and it was really, really good. Next time I'll just pipe it in after baking.

Dessert #2 was more of the coconut sorbet (Palapa brand), with a cut up mini banana, some dried figs, cinnamon, and homemade carob sauce from the failed banana ice cream on Friday. Nice and refreshing!

Peace!

3 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Wow, that plate looks great! And thanks for the links. I have been avoiding the Mad Good Chocolate Cake, but when I get most of the holiday sugar out of me, I definitely want to make it.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Wow, that plate looks great! And thanks for the links. I have been avoiding the Mad Good Chocolate Cake, but when I get most of the holiday sugar out of me, I definitely want to make it.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So many delicious choices! :)
Thanks for posting pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home