Teenage Vegan

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

After a three month hiatus, I'm back!

School was insanely busy this quarter; 15 credits make a full load and I took on 21, plus two different honor societies, college applications, occasional work, and my senior project (for which I'll be starting a vegetarian club at my high school, I'm so excited!)

I took a class this quarter all about sustainable agriculture and American consumption and I'm more into organic and local produce than ever - which, of course, isn't too easy in winter in Washington. I'm now of the opinion that no one should live in Washington because there isn't any local seasonal produce possible from November to March, except for the occasional pear or winter squash (and I'm definitely not living off that!)

With the holidays, I've been doing a ton of cooking - plus my grandma came out, so we've been baking up a storm making all of her old holiday candy recipes, like chocolate dipped peanut butter date balls and a veganized version of her marshmallow fudge.

Yesterday, we dined on yummy tempeh reuben sandwhiches from the new cookbook I got for Christmas, "The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics." They were super simple and even my carnivorous grandma liked them!

This afternoon for lunch, I whipped up a super yummy "chicken salad" from left over chick-style seitan we made on Christmas eve, some vegan mayo, some red pepper miso mayo (if you can get your hands on this, try it! It's amazing), some celery and some pickle relish. I served it right on top of some poppy seed crackers with pear. It was amazing; tasted just like the real stuff! (at least to someone who hasn't had the real stuff in awhile, lol) Tonight my boyfriend and I made morrocan winter squash and carrot stew with quinoa for his dad, another meat eater, and that went over very well! (Get the recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233714)


On the menu for this week? Lots of fresh foods to help me detox after I went for my third slice of Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake from the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog and second slice of Bryanna's Pumpkin Pie! Recipes will include:

Macrobiotic "hambulghur helper" with lots of fresh veggies, mainly being made because I'm easily amuseable and the name cracks me up
Macrobiotic Strawberry kanten (vegan jell-o) with creamy topping (the strawberries are ones that I froze this summer, so I suppose that's technically not out-of-season)
Seitan stir fry with cashews from Vegetarian Times magazine
Raw red beet ravioli with cashew tarragon filling - so good!
Brazil nut cheese on crackers (from Vegetarian Times) along with tea sandwhiches and green tea cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, for a tea party I'm having


My camera is kind of spazzing out on me - it will only take pictures when I press the button in a circular motion for 15 some seconds - but I will still do my best to take photos of these dishes and share them!

Midweek Munchies, a veg*n meme!

Midweek Munchies: What Teen Vegan is contributing this week

Bold Indicates Organic!

Ketchup
Relish
Sourdough Bread
Sauerkraut
2 8 oz. packages of tempeh
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
Bulghur wheat (to make the hambulghur helper recipe from my new macrobiotic cookbook!)
Whole wheat elbow pasta
1 ear corn
2 stalks celery
Apple juice
Agar Agar flakes
Brown rice syrup
1 lb. firm tofu
Umeboshi vinegar
Raw cashews
2 lemons
2 green onions
Tarragon
Parsley
3 yellow and orange bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 large bunch red beets
Frozen edamame
Ginger
1 head garlic

1 12 oz. package seitan

Get the Midweek Munchies code!
Leave your link on the MwM Guestbook!

Technorati Tag:

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required.
Have fun and Go Veg!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home